Thursday, June 30, 2005

Storm Chasing

Well last afternoon, on my way home from work, I came upon a tunder storm; unlike any other. While nearing Purcellville on Route 7, I could see the edge of the storm. The pavement in front of me was bone dry, but the clouds a 1/4 mile away were jet black and hanging low in the sky. Then I saw the wall of rain about 300 feet in front of me. Before I could slow down, not that I thought at first I should, I was hydroplanin'. The rain was coming down so fast and thick the visibility instantly dropped to almost nothing. A pick-up that had been driving no more than a 100 or less in front of me vanished in the roaring, torrent rain. The last two miles to my apartment, from there, I negotiated at a careful 35 miles an hour. I ran in the apartment about the time the lightning decided to cut loose. Bolts were screaming down at dangerous proximity to the apartment ( I suppose it doesn't help that there is a 200 foot steel water tower right next to our complex). Marshall and I waited for the worst of it to pass before we decided to follow the storm into fairfax. Driving under that beast was something of a spiritual journey. We got to Fairfax around 8:15pm, much to my surprise; unscathed. I went to REI and got a new harness, quick-draw, & a few other things. Then we hit up Chipolte. Flew home. Bed. Ready for the weekend in Summersville.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://indexmachine.info/2111.html and http://google-index.info/2044.html