Monday, January 31, 2005
Ice Ice Baby
This weekend I did a few things. On Friday I test drove some cars and decided to get a acura rsx-s. It's a nice little ride, I should be buying it this coming weekend. Then the payments will hit like a skull crushing thud from an iron mallet. Well on Saturday, met Chad and Jonathon in Front Royal, bright and early. We set off for Overall Falls, The tallest waterfall in the Shenandoah National Park. At 82 sheer vertical feet it is imprseeive to say the least, at least for the east coast. We were hoping to find it frozen, a key if your looking to ice climb, which we were. As we scrambled over the last ridge we got a glimpse of the falls from a distance. It was rock solid. The sight was awesome. Chad and Jonathon did rock, paper, scissors to see who would get to lead climb it. Chad won. He gracefully ascended the Falls securing screws as he climbed the frozen monolithic wall. I took photos from various view points hoping to capture some good shots. Jonathon and Chad took turn climbing different routes up the face of the falls. After a coup[le of hours a guy showed up named Tom, he was visiting NOVA from St. Louis. After some coaxing by Chad he was talked into climbing up the falls. He did a good job, and was gratefull for the opportunity, since he had never done anything like it before. I was kicking myself for not having any boots that I could have climbed in. We hiked out of the park and headed to Front Royal. We ate a Jalico's, the service was less than satisfactory and the food was half cold. Braving icy roads we forged onwards to Purcellville. We headed down to Magnolia's and drank our fill. Then shot from the long day we headed back to the apartment and passed out. Chad and Jonathon left early the next morning to go climb Overall again.
No comments:
Post a Comment